Reads out text

This page includes links to other organisations, services and resources you may find helpful.

Achievement for All
Is an independent, not-for-profit charity that transforms the lives of vulnerable and disadvantaged children, young people and their families by raising educational aspirations, access and achievement through working with schools, teachers and parents.

Autism Education Trust
Dedicated to coordinating, supporting and promoting effective education practice for all children and young people on the autism spectrum.

Barrington Stoke
An independent publisher dedicated to cracking reading. Their books are commissioned, edited and designed to break down the barriers that can stop this happening, from dyslexia and visual stress to reluctance.

BILD is the British Institute of Learning Disabilities. They want the right kind of support for people with learning disabilities so they can make choices and decisions about their lives. They influence policy-makers and campaign for change, and their services help organisations and schools review their frameworks and develop their staff to make support, including positive behaviour support, work.

British Dyslexia Association
0333 405 4567
Has a helpline that provides dyslexia information and advice surrounding dyslexic issues. 

Bullying UK 
0808 800 2222
Part of Family Lives, a charity with over three decades of experience helping parents to deal with the changes that are a constant part of family life. Provide useful information on Bullying.

The Codpast
The Codpast is a place where the cool and creative side of dyslexia is celebrated. In monthly podcasts you’ll hear inspirational and interesting stories from some of the most engaging dyslexics around. 

Coram Children’s Legal Centre 
Child Law Advice Line: 0808 802 0008 Education Law Line: 0845 345 4345 
Coram Children’s Legal Centre is a specialist provider of legal advice and assistance for education law matters for those who are eligible for legal aid. In order to check eligibility and seek legal advice, please contact Civil Legal Advice. Parents who are not eligible for legal aid can seek advice from Coram Children’s Legal Centre’s Child Law Advice Line. 

Communication Trust 
0207 843 2526
The Communication Trust is a coalition of almost 50 not-for-profit organisations supporting everyone who works with children and young people in England to support their speech, language and communication.

Contact a Family
0808 808 3555
Contact a Family has a national SEN helpline, the website also has lots of information about SEN and disabilities.

Council for Disabled Children
The Council for Disabled Children (CDC) is the umbrella body for the disabled children's sector in England for organisations that work with and for disabled children to support the development and implementation of policy and practice.

0845 601 5013                                                                                                   
The Council for the Registration of Schools Teaching Dyslexic Pupils’ aim is to help parents, and those who advise them, choose an educational establishment for children with Specific Learning Difficulties (SpLD).

Disability Rights UK                                                                                                
Work to create a society where everyone with lived experience of disability or health conditions can participate equally as full citizens. They have a helpline.

Dyslexia Assist
Dyslexia Assist is a small charity started by parents with dyslexic children to share information, tips, ideas and experiences. Their website features information and resources for parents and children.

Dyslexia-SpLD Trust
Provides reliable, good quality information to parents, teachers, schools and the wider sector. Provides guidance on Quality First Teaching and the SEND reforms.

Dyspraxia Foundation
01462 454986                                                                                                                
Provides help and advice to adults, parents, carers and families.

Good Schools Guide
Has a parent’s guide to good schools including those exclusively for children with special educational needs.

IASS Network      
Local authorities must provide free, impartial and confidential information, advice and support to disabled children and young people, and those with SEN, and their parents, through an Information, Advice and Support Service. Support from services can include: a confidential helpline; support in preparing for and attending meetings; help with filling in forms and writing letters; support in resolving disagreements with school and the Local Education Authority.                                                                                                         

I CAN is a children’s communication charity that helps children develop the speech, language and communication skills they need to thrive in a 21st century world.

In Control
0156 482 1650 
Supports local authorities to deliver self-directed support, and individuals to get more choice and control.

IPSEA (Independent Parental Special Education Advice)
General Advice Line: 0800 018 4016
Tribunal Help Line: 0845 602 9579
IPSEA offers free and independent legally based information, advice and support to help get the right education for children and young people with all kinds of special educational needs (SEN) and disabilities.

020 7359 3635
KIDS is a disabled children’s charity that works with children and young people from birth to 25 who have a physical, sensory or mental impairment (including mental health issues) which in interaction with social, attitudinal and environmental constraints creates barriers which hinder their full and equal participation in society. 

Life Coach Directory
Resource if you a life coach, business coach or NLP practitioner

Local Government Ombudsman
0300 061 0614                                                                                   
The Local Government Ombudsman looks at complaints about councils and some other authorities and organisations, including education admissions appeal panels and adult social care providers.

Is the leading organisation in the UK which aims to promote the education, training, advancement and development of all those with special and additional support needs. 

National Attention Deficit Disorder Information and Support Service
020 8952 2800
Information and resources about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder for anyone who needs assistance - parents, sufferers, teachers or health professionals.

National Literacy Trust 
Provides information relating to schools, teaching and literacy, including news, research, events, policy, and resources.

National Network of Parent Carer Forums  (NNPCF)
The NNPCF aims to ensure that good practice, knowledge and shared expertise about parent participation continues to grow and strengthen, and to develop a cohesive and coherent structure to sustain and develop the effectiveness of parent carer forums across England, individually and as a collective voice.

For complaints call: 0300 123 4666. 
The Office for Standards in Education, Children’s Services and Skills (Ofsted) inspects and regulates services which care for children and young people and those providing education and skills for learners of all ages. See the School Inspection Handbook (2014) for guidance on SEN that inspectors must follow. Parent View gives you the chance to have your say about your school. Click here to see what others think of your local school.

Contains reviews, written by parents for parents, about independent and state schools across the UK. 

Is a website that gives families more choice in choosing special educational needs services. It enables them to search for, buy and review existing services and find the information they need.

SEND Gateway
The SEND Gateway is an online portal offering education professionals free, easy access to high quality information, resources and training for meeting the needs of children with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND).

On these pages you’ll find useful and up-to-date information about what dyslexia is and how it affects people

The SEND system aims to ensure children and young people’s special educational needs are identified, assessed and met. Find out more.